Policy updated October 2016
- Our Views on Privacy
This website may contain information about our books and products for children but it is directed at adults, not children, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children through this website.
- What personal information do we collect?
We may collect certain personal information when you choose to provide it to us in connection with the website: whether by registering for the website, requesting a newsletter or other communication from us, entering a contest or promotion that we run, submitting content for us to display, ordering our books or other products or by otherwise contacting us by email, letter or telephone.
The types of personal information we may collect include:
- - contact information, such as your name, postal address, e-mail address and telephone number;
- - date of birth and gender;
- - username and password;
- - content you submit which identifies you or things about you - please be aware that if you include personal information in content you submit for display it may be seen by anyone visiting the website anywhere in the world. Please do not submit any content you do not want to be made public in this way - and please do not send us content which includes the personal information of anyone else without their permission;
- - employment information, such as your work experience;
- - shipping address and other delivery details - please be aware that unless specified otherwise any payment information: such as name, billing address, phone number and credit or debit card details, for any purchases via the website will be provided directly to and held by a third party payment processor acting on our behalf; and
- - information concerning your interests and product preferences.
We also collect certain information, by automated means, when users visit the website which may include technical information such as the Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser and device characteristics (including operating system and any plug-ins) and language preferences of the user. Please note that this information is collected on an anonymous and aggregated basis. You and your individual use of the website will not be identifiable from it.
We may also receive personal information from third-party services such as your social media accounts (for example your name, date of birth, email address and any other information which you have made publicly accessible) which we may allow you to use to sign-in to access certain services on the website. We will ask your permission before we access your personal information in this way.
If we require you to provide additional information for any purpose we will provide notice to you explaining why and how we will use that information.
- How do we use your personal data?
We may use the personal information we collect in connection with the website to:
- - create and manage your website account;
- - offer and provide products, services and information to you, including our newsletters;
- - run contests and promotions;
- - permit you to participate in blogs, forums, and discussion groups;
- - display content on our website, such as stories, product reviews and photos;
- - respond to and communicate with you about your requests, questions and comments;
- - provide user-friendly navigation and personalization of the website including through the provision of recommendations, targeted content and advertisements that may be of particular interest to you;
- help diagnose technical and service problems and administer the website;
- - operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services; managing our communications; determining the effectiveness of our sales, marketing and advertising; analyzing and enhancing our products and services such as tailoring the website to better meet the needs of our users; and performing accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation and collection activities);
- - perform data analyses and other processing (including market and consumer research, trend analysis, anonymization and aggregation);
- - process any claims we receive in connection with our products, services and the website;
- - enforce usage terms; block or take action against offensive, disruptive or inappropriate access or use; and otherwise protect the website from abuse;
- - protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities; and
- - comply with and enforce applicable legal and regulatory requirements and requests, relevant industry standards and our policies.
If we use the information we obtain about you in other ways we will provide notice to you, including where we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
- To whom might we disclose your personal information?
We may share the personal information we collect in connection with the website with:
- - companies that are related to us through common ownership;
- - our publishing partners (eg publishers of foreign editions of our books and co-promoters of competitions);
- - third parties who perform services on our behalf. For example, when you make a purchase we may share information about you and your transaction with other companies for the purpose of processing your transaction. In addition, we may retain third party service providers to manage our customer databases or distribute e-mail offerings;
- - other users who access the website and any blogs, forums and discussion groups to which you have contributed content with personal information; and
- - anyone who buys some or all of our business or business assets (including in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation).
We may also disclose information about you:
- - if we are required to do so by law, regulation or legal process (such as a court order);
- - in response to requests by government agencies including the police and law enforcement authorities; or
- - when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal, unlawful or harmful activity.
- For how long will we keep your personal information?
- Direct Marketing
If you have opted in to allowing us to contact you by email to market and promote our goods and services, we may personalise such communications using the personal information we hold. If you no longer wish to receive direct marketing from us you may at any time request us to stop sending this to you. If you wish to do this please contact: [email protected]
Please be aware that we are able to process an opt out request only for a specific e-mail address. So, if you have more than one e-mail address or if you have changed your e-mail address, your opt out request may not be processed properly. If you believe you have opted out, but continue to receive e-mails from us, please contact us by one of the means listed under “How to Contact Us” below, and we will endeavor to resolve the issue.
In particular, where the website has been integrated with third party services, such as the platform operated by our discussion forum provider or your social media accounts, please be aware that the privacy and cookie policies of those third party service providers will apply.
Macmillan International Publishing limited is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to www.amazon.co.uk.
We always do our best to protect your personal information. We take appropriate technical and organizational steps to prevent any unauthorized or illegal processing and any loss, destruction or damage. You should be aware, however, that, no data transmission over the Internet or any other public computer network is 100 per cent secure and such transmissions are largely outside our control.
- Access and Corrections
You have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you. If you would like a copy of some or all of your personal information, please contact us by one of the means listed under “How to Contact Us” below. We may make a small charge for this service. To help protect your privacy and maintain security, we may take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to the information. We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. You may ask us to correct or remove information you think is inaccurate.
- How to Contact Us
This website is operated by Macmillan Publishers International Limited, trading as Pan Macmillan. Macmillan Publishers International Limited is a company registered in England. Our registered number is 02063302.
If you wish to contact us please use our postal address at:
20 New Wharf Road
or send an email to [email protected]
Our registered office is at: Cromwell Place, Hampshire International Business Park, Lime Tree Way, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG24 8YJ
[27th October 2016]